Site map

31 March 2013

Monthly Read: March

I read Room by Emma Donoghue this past week and I cannot recommend it enough.

I finished it in about two days and whenever I picked it up, I could not put it back down. It was mesmerizing.

The book is told from the perspective of a five year old boy, Jack,  who has spent his entire life living in one room with his young mother. As you continue to read on, you learn not only why Jack has lived his entire existence in this room but how something that seems to be so tragic can be so meaningful. Vague, I know, but read the book and you will see what I mean. 

This book was compelling to me as a I have spent this entire semester studying children and childhood development. I also have always had an interest in feral children and their development, which is why this book may have also piqued my interest a bit. 

Books like these are amazing because I cannot imagine how hard it must be to write a book from the perspective of a five year old boy who knows only one sole human in the world and has never been outside this one room. And yet, Donoghue accomplishes this flawlessly and you slowly immerse yourself within the dynamic between Jack, his mother and this room that is his sole existence. And while the thought of being contained in a room for one's whole life seems unbearable, when told through Jack's voice, this room becomes your home as well. 

I was so impressed with her writing style and seriously, please go out and read this book. I inhale books, but I know once this book is picked up, you won't be able to put it down.

Has anyone else read this? Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...