Site map

14 April 2013

Moose Vacation

This past week was a tough one for me. I may or may not have spent a good half of it crying hysterically and being sick out of my brains. Seriously, my hacking cough sounded like I had been a lifelong smoker and the headaches I had made me lay in bed one day for 14 hours. I was sick of being sick and so behind on everything.

Luckily my parents stepped in and on Thursday, when Pedro and I had gone over for dinner, they volunteered to keep Moose for the night so I could catch up on some sleep and relax. I love my Moose baby, but he is still very much a puppy and wants to play 24/7.

Somehow it is now Sunday and Moose is still at his grandparents. The house is somewhat cleaner, a bottle of wine has been funneled down my throat (and sadly, a substantial amount ended up on my carpet. Oops) and I spent an amazing Saturday doing laundry and watching about 7 Hallmark movies.

It was very needed and in my opinion, very well deserved.

In the Social Work field, we often face a lot of stress. Between my stressful job working with domestic violence survivors and attending school, I definitely qualify as someone who is stressed out. Add in all the responsibilities of being a normal, functioning adult (taxes? what?) and sometimes I lose it a little. In the social work field when we make sure self-care is always on the agenda. Self-care is basically a professional version of Treat yo self. Self- care can be anything: painting your nails, reading a book, taking a bubble bath... So, I decided Saturday would be my day of self-care.

I cleaned a little, did some laundry, bought myself a bouquet of flowers, drank some wine, ate some cupcakes, after finishing said bottle of wine ordered some cheesy breadsticks from Dominos, consumed said breadsticks in under 5 minutes and put on my stretchiest pants.

In my opinion, mental health days should be given to every employee. I personally could use 1 a week, but that's just me.

How do you guys treat yourselves?

And no matter what profession you are in, self-care is VERY important and I encourage you all to partake in it! And if you need ideas, I highly suggest a bottle of Yellowtail and some cheesy breadsticks. A delightful combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...